Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Breaking Bread



For those of you who know me you are probably shocked that I have a recipe for bread let alone have baked a loaf of the stuff myself. I even have pictures to prove it. No, I am not known for my baking skills. However; I wanted to challenge myself in the kitchen and what better way, for me at least, then to bake something? (And I should admit that 2 days prior to baking this bread, I attempted to bake my sister's cinnamon buns and failed miserably)

So if I can do it, and the bread actually turned out, I encourage all you non-bakers out there to try this recipe. Although it is a bit time consuming, it really is easy. I would get more creative next time and change up the bread with enhancers like nuts, seeds, cheese, jalapenos even!  

*I should note that I halved the original recipe, and it still turned out! 

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Elements
  • 1 1/2 C warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 40ml honey
  • 2 1/2 C flour (White or whole wheat)
  • 1 1/2 TBSP butter, melted
  • 40ml honey
  • 1/2 TBSP salt
  • 1-2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 TBSP butter, melted

*note to the Baker, I know that some of the ingredients look doubled at
first glance, but after reading through the directions it should be
more clear.

In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 40mls of honey, and let
these 3 hang out for about 5-7mins. Add in 2 1/2 cups flour, and stir
to combine. Let set for 30-40mins, or until big and bubbly.

When big and bubbly, mix in 1 1/2 TBSP melted butter, 40ml honey, and
salt. Stir in 1 cup whole wheat flour. I used a wooden spoon and my
massive biceps.

Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real
sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch.
This may take an additional 1/2 cup to 1 cup of whole wheat flour,
(hence totaling the 1-2 cups of flour, depending on your dough). This
process takes about 5-10mins.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
Takes around hour.


Punch down, and divide into 2 small loaves. Place in greased 8 x 4 inch
loaf pans. At this point I also topped one of the loaves with fresh
grated Parmesan and cracked black pepper. Allow to rise until dough
has topped the pans by one inch give or take. About 30mins.
 
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; I checked
on them at 20mins. In my oven if took around 23mins. Remove loaves from
pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Lightly brush the tops of loaves
with melted butter.

You are suppose to let the bread cool completely...but I couldn't wait
and smothered the heal in butter and ate immediately!  

4 comments:

  1. This bread was amazing! Well done Jilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this bread on Oscar night and want to give it the shout out it deserves. While all the other suckers were piling their turkey based spagets sauce all over their noodles I just made sloppy Joe's out of mine. Why, because the bread so delicious. In fact, in the end I didn't even bother with the sauce (no offense to the saucier, Kelly, it was great too).

    I just ate the bread. It was fluffy and rich and reminded me of banana bread, sans the bananas. This bread is bananas, B, A, N, A, N, A, S.

    Keep up the great work Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. a fresh baked bread bum smothered in butter...nothing better...nice Jill. Keep em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete