Thursday, March 10, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I regret that this is my first post for this week, but I have a valid excuse! I have been the victim of  a nasty migraine  headache. I used to get them frequently when I was younger and living in Calgary with all the weather and pressure changes. Thankfully  I 'grew' out of them until this past week.  Anyways it put me out of commission for a couple of days.

This hummus recipe is fast and easy and is a great way to jazz up your everyday hummus. It is full of protein and fiber and makes for a great snack anytime of day. It could also make an appearance on a sammy, subbing it in for mayo or other spreads.

Roasted red peppers are just a jumping off point and I encourage you to try out new additions to your own hummus creations. Some of my other ideas include; roasted garlic, lemon and cilantro with chilpotle peppers just to name a few.





Elements

  • 1-2 red pepper roasted (see instructions below, they look long but aren't in practice)
  • 1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
  • 1 small clove of garlic roughly chopped
  • 1/2 Tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbsp Tahini *this is a key ingredient and should not be omitted (tahini is sesame paste, buy at grocery store or organic food markets)
  • 1/4 Tsp crushed chili flakes
  • S&P to Taste
  • 3-5 Tbsp water, how much liquid you use will depend on how thick you want your humus to be

Depending on how red peppery tasting you want your humus to be will depend on how many peppers you roast, or what made my decision is I only had one pepper in my fridge. 

Turn oven to Broil. Place whole red peppers on baking sheet lined with tin foil (if you don't want to wash dishes just use foil!). Place peppers under broiler and allow pepper to char until black, rotating until all sides are evenly charred. About 5-8mins.

Take red peppers out of the oven and wrap the foil around the pepper to cover. The little package you have just created will help the steam to pull the charred skin away from the flesh of the pepper and make it easier for you to peel once it has cooled. 

Once peppers are cool to the touch peel away skin and pull out green top and seeds. Try to add any juices coming from the peppers into the food processor as it has tons of flavour!

Add all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and combine until smooth. Serve with veggies, pita wedges or taco chips.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Seeing your blog made me crave this today..made it for a friend and her daughter tonight. I love the roasted peppers in hummus...adds such a nice flavour...I was bad and added oil and feta to mine too - so not as healthy as yours. Glad your headache is gone :)

    ReplyDelete